Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Looking for feedback for a Blanco and Reposado.
Anyone still posting here?

I am looking to buy two Blancos. One a budget friendly one and the other a nicer one. Presently I only have a Don Julio Blanco on the shelf.

Thinking of trying Espolon or Olmeco Altos for the budget option.

I live in Ontario, Canada so I am presently constrained by what I can buy through the government store for choice. So, for the nicer one I am thinking of 1921.

Now the Resposado... I currently only have 2 Repos in my collection. One is an Espolon and the other is a Herradura which is a 38% Mexican variant I picked up in Cabo last year. I usually have a Don Julio Repo but I polished it off awhile ago.

I could snag a Patron Repo but my experience so far with Patron is that I tend to prefer Don Julio for similar money. Same for Cabo Wabo. At the local government store I can order in Cenote for something different.

Thoughts?
Okay... I will keep this thread going and maybe someone will chime in at some point.

I snagged both the Omecca Altos and Espolon Blanco. I also bought sampler bottles of Patron and Trombo Blanco (200 ml size). 1921 Blanco is on order and I just have to wait for it to come in. I will be doing some tasting neat and will also try these in cocktails and see what I think.

I picked up Don Julio Reposado at the store and have Cenote Reposado on order. I will be doing some tastings and post my thoughts in this thread as well.

I wish I could get some Pasote. They do sell the Anejo variant but none in the system right now. Weird. They stock the entire line of Don Julio and Patron. Other brands though are often only one or two variants. I can only get 1921 Blanco for instance. Only Pasote Anejo. Only Cenote Reposado and Anejo; no Blanco. Omecca Altos is only in Blanco; no Reposado.

The system is province wide so I do not understand why they do not have the other variants in a product range and just have them available for delivery with in store pickup. I may have to send some emails and see if my input can make any impact or difference.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Any thoughts on Siempre? They have the blanco and anejo available. Blanco is $73 in Ontario versus $60 in Quebec.

I can find good feedback on the Blanco but not much on the Anejo.

Did you get an old shape bottle of Espolon? It’s much better than the new.

Pasote is amazing, if you see any G4 then grab that too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think Tapatalk has been on the tequila lol
(02-23-2020, 08:02 PM)Fordi Wrote: Did you get an old shape bottle of Espolon? It’s much better than the new.

I think Tapatalk has been on the tequila lol

Yeah. Tapatalk is off alright. I think it is Mixto though!

Sadly, my Espolon is the newer Compari stuff. Just the same it is good juice for the price. I did a little Espolon and Don Julio Repo last night. When the Cenote Repo comes in I will post my thoughts on that. Initially the Espolon seems to be an easier sipper than the Don Julio but I think that is just because it has a bit less "burn". I think for someone starting out the Espolon seems like it would be a good line to start with. I may do some Blanco sippings tonight and see how the Espolon compares to the Don Julio, Patron etc. It is less than half the price of the Don Julio so if I were looking for a Repo for a mixer the Espolon would be a good one from a value perspective. It also would be an interesting one to use to introduce someone new to tequila. Has a bit of that Patron "mildness" and I find it "accessible".

Ah... Options. I would love to bring in some Pasote, G4, and Forteleza. I have been reading reviews and watching youtube videos from Tequila Hombre and Long Island Lou.

In Ontario I am limited to this option:

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lcbo

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...uila-15018

If I want to drive to my old hometown of Ottawa I can cross the border into Quebec and they have more options:

https://www.saq.com/en/products/spirit/tequila?p=1

Sadly, I do not have access to a lot here in Ontario. Pasote is in the system but no stock at this time (only Repo and Anejo).

If you look at the Ontario website you will see we have a poor selection here and expensive. 13% sales tax gets added on top of that.

I may take my motorcycle and go for a road trip down to Erie or somewhere in that area. Maybe there is a decent store down there selling tequila and I can make a nice weekend out of it and come back with some nice finds I cannot get here.
Road trip sounds like a plan. I have heard that Canada has limited options for tequila and is expensive. I will ask my Canadian mate what he will sip and where he buys it from.

I cannot believe how many Mezcal’s are in the store. Straight away I would be buying Tapatio Blanco and Arette. Two fantastic Blanco's made in the right way. They are both agave forward and absolutely delicious.
I think in the interim I will take a closer look at Tromba considering the Canadian connection. No worries, I will avoid Cazadores and the Diffuser crap!

I checked how much duties would be. To snag Tequila worth $80 Canadian which is about $60 USD the duties I would be out would be $64 CDN. Crazy! To be able to buy duty free I have to be in the U.S. for at least 48 hours and then I can bring a whole 1.14L back into the country duty free. I guess I will do a nice little trip with my wife and that way we can bring back 2 bottles.

Tonight is Cabo Wabo Anejo which I actually purchased in Cabo at the original Cabo Wabo. Maybe a speck of dust got onto the bottle which touched Sammy. LOL. Very drinkable stuff. Aged a lot less than the 2 years the Herradura Anejo I have.

So, still waiting for the 1921 Blanco and Cenote Reposado to show up at my local store. In the interim I may snag Cabo Wabo Repo for something new until my order comes in.

Some good reviews on Tromba and since it apparently launched in Canada before other markers I may try a Repo and Anejo.

I emailed the folks at the LCBO to ask when they will have Pasote in the system again. I really need to pick this stuff up plus the Forteleza.

As for Mescal I have a sampler pack I bought at the duty free in Mexico and there are 5 in the pack. That is a rabbit hole I am not sure I am ready to fall into yet. Wink

Hey,

Thanks for the tip about the Arette and Tapatio. Sounds like a road trip back to Ottawa is in the works. I could snag these, plus Pasote, and if I wanted to snag some of the Siembre Blanco which also has some good reviews it is $13.00 cheaper in Quebec!
Sounds like a plan. Good luck with your journey!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like a plan. Good luck with your journey!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks.

So, I am heading to Ottawa next week for a couple of days so I can visit some old friends and also hop over the border into Quebec to get some tequila!

Game plan is to only buy tequila I cannot buy here in Ontario.

The current plans are to snag:

Arette Blanco
Azunia Reposado Organico
Olmeca Alto Repo
Pasote Blanco
Pasote Repo
Pasote Anejo
Tapatio Blanco

Possible ones to consider. Please give feedback:

Excellia Repo
La Sepiete Emplumada (all variants)
Azunia Blanco Organico

Thanks. Smile
Excellia Repo is good but if you can see a Blanco the grab it as they don’t make it anymore.

Have you downloaded TequilaMatchmaker on your phone? That’s a great source of information.
Oh yeah I'm using the app all the time. I love forums though and bouncing ideas off of people.

The app is amazing though. Can figure out the production process what other products are made at that distillery etc.

I got some good news. My Tequila order is ready for pickup at my local liquor store. Looking forward to expanding my palette a bit. 

As you can see my collection is pretty modest and is pretty much nothing but mainstream brands at the moment.
[Image: 20200226_012934-L.jpg]
[Image: 20200226_013329-L.jpg]
I will be curious to see how the 1921 Blanco compares to what I have and how the Cenote Repo compares to Don Jullio etc.

The road trip will really help provide some new blood and variety to the collection.
Hey, Roca Patron just came available at the store in Quebec I am going to next week. Like any Patron product I would have to pay the "Patron Premium".

They only have the Repo and Anejo. Would one or both be a good pickup?

Hey, Roca Patron just came available at the store in Quebec I am going to next week. Like any Patron product I would have to pay the "Patron Premium".

They only have the Repo and Anejo. Would one or both be a good pickup?

Your building a great collection. Patron is a nice tequila and made in the right way.

What expression do you prefer? Blanco, Rep or Anejo?

I meant that in general about your preference.
Thanks for the ferdback. I tend to be an Anejo guy but I am learning to appreciate a good repo.

Ideally I would get both but the Roca Patro will likely become available in Ontario at some point.

I am going to snag the entire Pasote selection for sure. Will be some quality Tequila coming back for sure.

Roca has reviews all over the map in terms of people's impresssions. Repo seems to get the most love which makes it an interesting idea if I only picked one.

Thanks for the ferdback. I tend to be an Anejo guy but I am learning to appreciate a good repo.

Ideally I would get both but the Roca Patro will likely become available in Ontario at some point.

I am going to snag the entire Pasote selection for sure. Will be some quality Tequila coming back for sure.

Roca has reviews all over the map in terms of people's impresssions. Repo seems to get the most love which makes it an interesting idea if I only picked one.

Got some good news. The LCBO has the Siempre Blanco on sale so I placed an order for that and the Trombo Repo. Will see these in a week or so when it comes from the warehouse.

This is the Siempre I am snagging:
https://www.siempretequila.com/

They do sell the Anejo but reviews are very uneven. The Blanco is a bit of a fav in these parts.

While I did prefer the 1921 Blanco to the Tromba the Tromba did have the same wonderful start. Hopefully that same flavor will still be there with the Repo and just have a touch of wood. If I really like the Tromba Repo then I would snag the Anejo at some point.

Off to Quebec tomorrow. Will post my newbies in the other forum and my impressions.
Siempre is a Tequila that’s not in the UK, or I haven’t seen it yet!

I bet you cannot wait to go on your travels and collect? How long will the trip take you? What tequila's in your list will be a first try?
I am only gone a couple of days. See my brother, old high school buddy and pop into the next province.

I am very interested in the Pasote and the Azunia Organic Repo. However, with my current interest in Blancos the Arrette and Tapatio are intriguing as well.

Probably the Pasote and Azunio Organic repo would be the first tasting. Long Island Lou's review of this as well as The Tequila Hombre show how special it is.

I am only gone a couple of days. See my brother, old high school buddy and pop into the next province.

I am very interested in the Pasote and the Azunia Organic Repo. However, with my current interest in Blancos the Arrette and Tapatio are intriguing as well.

Probably the Pasote and Azunio Organic repo would be the first tasting. Long Island Lou's review of this as well as The Tequila Hombre show how special it is.

Lou certainly knows his stuff and is a valued contributor here!
For sure. You know someone is a recognized Tequila connoisseur when you see reviews on Tequila Matchmaker where someone says they feel like Long Island Lou. Lol!

Less than 200 kms from my Buddy's place and it is a short drive from his place over the border to a broader selection of Tequila.

The Pasote, Azunia, Arette, and Tapatio are calling me!

For sure. You know someone is a recognized Tequila connoisseur when you see reviews on Tequila Matchmaker where someone says they feel like Long Island Lou. Lol!

Less than 200 kms from my Buddy's place and it is a short drive from his place over the border to a broader selection of Tequila.

The Pasote, Azunia, Arette, and Tapatio are calling me!

He’s a top guy and speak all the time. I do wish I had a quarter of the taste receptors he has. He pick things up that cannot even get close too. The amount of work that goes in to his reviews are jaw dropping and are so in-depth. Those photos he manages to get are awesome too.
Have a good Agave journey!!!