Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lots of new goodies... Pasote, Azunia, Arette, Tapatio and more...
I probably put on about 1000 kms round trip. Fun but everything did not go totally as planned.

I meant to pick up an Omecca Altos Reposado to see how it is based on my experience with the Blanco...
[Image: 20200305_152331-L.jpg]

Gah, I went to the first SAQ in Quebec to specifically get the Altos Repo. None in stock (even though the website I used and their own in-store computers said they had 2 in stock) . So, seeing as they did have the Tapatio Blanco I decided to snag that just in case it was not in stock at the second store.
[Image: 20200304_142603-L.jpg]

So, onto the next store. The goal at this store was to snag the Blanco Tapatio but I had already snagged that. The other tequilas I was hunting down were the Azunia Organic Repo, Arette Blanco, Pasote Blanco, Repo, and Anejo. I had also decided to snag both Roca Patron Repo and Anejo. Let the hunt begin!
[Image: 20200304_151238-L.jpg]
[Image: 20200304_153518-L.jpg]

So... Let's see how I did.
Finally I can try Pasote! Was at the front of the store. All 3! So pleased. I cannot get the Pasote Blanco here in Ontario although supposedly we have access to the Repo and Anejo. Sadly, the website for the Ontario system has had no stock the past 6 months,. Crazy! I was happy just to have these even if the rest of my search was a bust.
[Image: 20200305_152345-L.jpg]

Now... Luckily I was able to snag the one, lone bottle of Arette Blanco.
[Image: 20200305_152402-L.jpg]

And the Tapatio Blanco I had already picked up at the first store. They had lots there and a lot in stock at the second store. So, if I end up loving the stuff I could always snag 2 on my next trip.
[Image: 20200305_152414-L.jpg]

Ah, the Azunia Organic Repo. So looking forward to trying this. Seems like a special company making a special artisan product.
[Image: 20200305_152433-L.jpg]

Now the problem. The website I accessed and the in-store computers showed ample stock of Roca Patron Repo and Anejo. Couldn't find any. Staff could not find anything. Hmmm....

So... Got to make chicken salad out of chicken... Well, you get the gist.

Luckily there was an option staring me in the face. Website did not show it as available but they just got Tapatio Anejo in stock. Great reviews, I like Anejos... Sold!
[Image: 20200305_152445-L.jpg]

I was checking out this Repo and another customer walked by and started to rave about it. Enough decent reviews on Tequila Matchmaker that I decided to take a chance on it. When I bought the tequila the cashier raved about it too! Will see if these recommendations match up with my palate and experience. Herencia De Plata Repo. Was fairly priced and not a diffuser product. Will see what I think when my wife and I do some tasting this weekend.
[Image: 20200305_152500-L.jpg]

Last choice was another sort of last minute choice. A Blanco from a company with a long family history. Decent Tequila Matchmaker reviews and again not a diffuser product. Apparently this stuff has an interesting flavor from some of the research I have done. Again, the tasting will do the telling. Gran Orendain Blanco...
[Image: 20200305_152511-L.jpg]

There is one more addition but I am keeping it with my liquors for mixing use. Patron Orange...
[Image: 20200305_153957-L.jpg]

So, by type here is the breakdown. 4 new Blancos which will really add variety to my collection. Thinking of tasting the 1921 Blanco against these and taste all 5 in one sitting. Should be interesting.
[Image: 20200305_152529-L.jpg]

Here are the Repos. Again, I would love to do a tasting with these this weekend. I would add Don Julio and Cenote Repo into the tasting mix. Will be fun! At one point I only had the Herencia Antiguo crappy diffuser Repo. Now I have a nice selection and some really good quality repos. Collection is not just mass market brands now.
[Image: 20200305_152548-L.jpg]

And 2 new Anejos to boot! The Tapatio was such a nice surprise to find. I would have loved to have tried out Roca Patron Repo and Anejo but hopefully they will be actually available in-store next time I go. 
[Image: 20200305_152604-L.jpg]

The Gran Orendain and Herencia De Plata were wild cards but I am always up to trying new stuff. Will see what I think.
Wow what a great selection of Tequila. Really enjoyed reading that. You are in for a treat mark my words as you have made some great choices. I cannot wait for you to sip and enjoy. I have only had Arette, Tapatio and Pasote and they are god roll tequila. I have to tip my hat to you at your journey, that’s some round trip! Salud.
Okay... Tasting night with my dear wife.

We ended up donating some stuff to the local thrift store and decided to see if there was some more appropriate glassware I could find instead of using various wine glasses.

Start the car! Some finds here...
Some margarita glasses for fun. I promise I can do better than diffuser product for cocktails! Got to give Sauza credit. Last time I checked on Tequila Matchmaker everything they produce is made using a diffuser. Got to love that commitment. LOL!
[Image: 20200307_203417-L.jpg]
Only $2.99 CDN a glass. Can't beat that!
[Image: 20200307_202245-L.jpg]
All the way from Texas. Too bad they did not bring the tequila options with them. Wink
[Image: 20200307_202250-L.jpg]

It seems like I got a set of Glencairn tyoe glasses and a trio of brandy sniffer sort of glasses. Will put them into service!
[Image: 20200307_202635-L.jpg]
[Image: 20200307_203412-L.jpg]

Okay... So Blanco time. Brought back the 1921 and the Patron from my last tasting to compete against the newbies.
[Image: 20200307_210332-L.jpg]

Can Gran Orendain compete? Hmmm...
[Image: 20200307_210401-L.jpg]
I have been waiting to try this stuff!
[Image: 20200307_210459-L.jpg]
Pouring out the Tapatio...
[Image: 20200307_210543-L.jpg]

Lineup ready to go and my wife and I were all ready to try Blancos!
[Image: 20200307_210615-L.jpg]

Right off Patron was out of its league. Tromba would have been a better option or just do 5 with the 1921 taking on the newbies. In the end I felt that the best were:
1. Pasote
2. Tapatio
3. 1921
4. Arette
5. Patron
6. Gran Orendain

1921 is still a wonderful Blanco. Pasote was a revelation. However, Tapatio was so interesting. It has a wonderful mid palate magic and then finished with so many interesting nuances. However, Pasote had that and more. Even a bit more complexity. Both entries were so amazing. Pasote was everything I built it up to be in my mind. I detected and tasted minerality which was new to me. However, Tapatio was so close in quality and complexity. Almost a 1A and 1B situation. I would love to try a Tapatio Repo if I can ever get my hands on one and Extra Anejo for both brands. I guess I am getting a little ahead of myself since we did a Repo tasting next.

This one was a smaller selection. I brought back Don Julio and Cenote Repo from my last tasting since my wife and I felt they were the best of the Repos I had at the time. So, in the Repo collection it is Don Julio and Cenote versus Herencia De Plata, Pasoten, and Azunia Organico.
[Image: 20200307_223656-L.jpg]

Ah... Look at that wonderful juice...
[Image: 20200307_224043-L.jpg]

At the end of the day Pasote won again! Followed by the Azunia, then the Don Julio, Cenote, then the Herencia De Plata. The Pasote was just wonderful as was the Azunia. They offered different qualities but both offered wonderful flavours and complexities which seperated themselves from the other ones I was tasting. What was a surprise is how well Don Julio represented itself here. In the Blancos Don Julio was really a mid pack entry. In the Repos while it fell to third it was still a quality product. I imagine if I had Forteleza, G4, Manama perhaps it would fall to mid tier but it is still a quality repo. The Cenote is close on its heals and at its price point is still a quality Repo. The Herencia De Plato is worthwhile and at its price point is well worth the money. However, while I can see always having the Pasote, Azunia, and Don Julio in my collection I would not be stressing out when the Herencia De Plata is depleted.

Sunday night may be an Anejo tasting to see how the Pasote and Tapatio do against my current Anejos. Based on my impressions thus far Pasote is everything it is hyped to be and more. Tapatio is also a brand that makes an exceptional product. I am looking forward to trying both of these Anejos.
You look like you have had some fun there. Really enjoyed reading and looking at your photos. It’s something I have never done having a tasting competition, looks great fun.
Something I have found interesting is do the same competition again in a month after the bottles have been opened and rested a while. Tapatio and Arette are some of the most Agave forward Blanco’s. That’s if you have any left!!

In December I went on a night out and found a bottle of Arette Blanco in a bar. The bar was going to serve in shot glass until I managed to kindly ask them to put in wine glass. After a few swizzes of the glass the Arette really opened up and I was completely blown away by the aroma. That’s what a Blanco should be like.

So I would be very interested in your thoughts in a few weeks.
Thanks for the idea. I will do an Arette evening and just let the Blanco sit for a good half hour or so and aerate. I think people have said the same thing about the Siempre I have coming in.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Thanks for the idea. I will do an Arette evening and just let the Blanco sit for a good half hour or so and aerate. I think people have said the same thing about the Siempre I have coming in.

Oh, the other reason I like to do these "competitions" is that it reminds me of staying at the Hyatt in Cabo where there was a tequila bar.

They did samplings/tastings individually but they had lots of set "deals" where you sort of got a tequila flight. They were usually grouped or themed a certain way and you got a deal with the grouping. I guess I see this as sort of my own fun, individual way of replicating this. However, part of this methodology is also because I do not have the palate or experience to be able to independently rate these tequilas against one another from memory.

That being said the 1921 Blanco had seared itself into my memory and I can still taste the Pasote Blanco and Tapatio Blanco.

The Pasote and Azunia Repos are still here as well so perhaps I am developing a palate or sorts after all.

Oh, the other reason I like to do these "competitions" is that it reminds me of staying at the Hyatt in Cabo where there was a tequila bar.

They did samplings/tastings individually but they had lots of set "deals" where you sort of got a tequila flight. They were usually grouped or themed a certain way and you got a deal with the grouping. I guess I see this as sort of my own fun, individual way of replicating this. However, part of this methodology is also because I do not have the palate or experience to be able to independently rate these tequilas against one another from memory.

That being said the 1921 Blanco had seared itself into my memory and I can still taste the Pasote Blanco and Tapatio Blanco.

The Pasote and Azunia Repos are still here as well so perhaps I am developing a palate or sorts after all.

Now that sounds right up my street and would love to do that. Get a few people round, cook some tacos, grab the tequila and bring it on!!!
Now I am waiting for the Siempre Blanco and Tromba Repo to come in. Both have Canadian connections. The Siempre.head office is in Toronto which is literally a 45 minute drive from my house. They started with the Blanco which is getting good reviews. Oddly enough they put out an Anejo after that which has a good member score on tequila matchmaker but a fairly low panel score. They came out with a repo after that but I have not seen it for sale yet in Ontario or Quebec.

Tromba has has at least one Canadian in its founders. I enjoyed the Blanco and the Repo is its highest rated product on the app. If I like it I may snag the Anejo as well.

So, hopefully my order will.be delivered to my local store this week and I can do a write up and mini review later this week.

Now I am waiting for the Siempre Blanco and Tromba Repo to come in. Both have Canadian connections. The Siempre.head office is in Toronto which is literally a 45 minute drive from my house. They started with the Blanco which is getting good reviews. Oddly enough they put out an Anejo after that which has a good member score on tequila matchmaker but a fairly low panel score. They came out with a repo after that but I have not seen it for sale yet in Ontario or Quebec.

Tromba has has at least one Canadian in its founders. I enjoyed the Blanco and the Repo is its highest rated product on the app. If I like it I may snag the Anejo as well.

So, hopefully my order will.be delivered to my local store this week and I can do a write up and mini review later this week.

That sounds great! I will look out for that!!