Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dusty bottle find stories... guessing depends entirely on your current location
Stumbled upon a few treasure finds last week: 6 bottles of older pre-difusor Sauza Tequila Anejo Tres Generaciones (black frosted glass) sadly without original boxes. Already have a few of these but worth noting. Some blanco and reposado Reserva de Mexico at bargain prices (NOM 1519 the same place DeLeon originated and now Desmadre). Older Quita Penas reposado - starting to become scarce with the new bottlings showing up (sadly just not the same as older stuff). Found some 2000ish 1L round bottle Centinela - even most of the new stuff out there can't hold a candle to this stuff. And finally some older early 2000 Espolon (not the metallic label but paper label equivalent for that time).
What a haul Vanguero, Glenn and I could only dream about bottles like that. 100% Tahona tequila on these shores have only been brought in by holiday makers 10 years ago and importers buy treasure bottles at a premium. Let's hope in 20 years we have some real treasure bottles here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
(09-30-2016, 02:39 AM)Vanguero Wrote: Stumbled upon a few treasure finds last week: 6 bottles of older pre-difusor Sauza Tequila Anejo Tres Generaciones (black frosted glass) sadly without original boxes. Already have a few of these but worth noting. Some blanco and reposado Reserva de Mexico at bargain prices (NOM 1519 the same place DeLeon originated and now Desmadre). Older Quita Penas reposado - starting to become scarce with the new bottlings showing up (sadly just not the same as older stuff). Found some 2000ish 1L round bottle Centinela - even most of the new stuff out there can't hold a candle to this stuff. And finally some older early 2000 Espolon (not the metallic label but paper label equivalent for that time).

Those are some fantastic treasures- Congrats. I like 1519 stuff and have to find some old RDM. I have a few metal label Espolons, but havent popped them yet. It's funny- I was on Fire Island (an island off LI NY, in the Atlanic) this summer and the only liquor store there had like 50 mini (maybe 350-400 ML) Espolon metal labels- guy knew I knew what it was, and he was excited about them as well. It was so surreal to see them all lined up, that it was suspect to me. He said they were legit, and he got them somewhere a while back, and held on to them. I had the wife in tow, never asked how much, and had no way to carry them back on the ferry. Boy I regret that though- should have bought them all.
I'd have asked if i could borrow a trolly and filled it up!!! lol.
(10-01-2016, 03:56 PM)Long Island Lou Tequila Wrote:
(09-30-2016, 02:39 AM)Vanguero Wrote: Stumbled upon a few treasure finds last week: 6 bottles of older pre-difusor Sauza Tequila Anejo Tres Generaciones (black frosted glass) sadly without original boxes. Already have a few of these but worth noting. Some blanco and reposado Reserva de Mexico at bargain prices (NOM 1519 the same place DeLeon originated and now Desmadre). Older Quita Penas reposado - starting to become scarce with the new bottlings showing up (sadly just not the same as older stuff). Found some 2000ish 1L round bottle Centinela - even most of the new stuff out there can't hold a candle to this stuff. And finally some older early 2000 Espolon (not the metallic label but paper label equivalent for that time).

Those are some fantastic treasures- Congrats. I like 1519 stuff and have to find some old RDM. I have a few metal label Espolons, but havent popped them yet. It's funny- I was on Fire Island (an island off LI NY, in the Atlanic) this summer and the only liquor store there had like 50 mini (maybe 350-400 ML) Espolon metal labels- guy knew I knew what it was, and he was excited about them as well. It was so surreal to see them all lined up, that it was suspect to me. He said they were legit, and he got them somewhere a while back, and held on to them. I had the wife  in tow, never asked how much, and had no way to carry them back on the ferry. Boy I regret that though- should have bought them all.

Dunno. Most likely those bottles are legit? The US governing body for alcohol, the TTB, states that, "Distilled spirits must be bottled in sizes of 1.75 L, 750 ml, 375 ml, 200 ml, 100 ml, or 50 ml. A can must be filled to 355 ml, 200 ml, 100 ml, or 50 ml"
Don't know if this counts as a treasure bottle but just been given a bottle of Tezon Reposado (I say given, I still had to pay for it). I guess it's a treasure bottle in UK terms.
Nice one bud. What happened?

In laws got it from a market. Got the guys business card, reckons he can get any tequila. Tezon was only £30 so maybe he can supply other stuff cheap.
Great news, book me in!!

I have a few Tezon's, but do you guys do guys feel it's really quality stuff? I had heard such great things for years and when I finally ran into a small stash, I wasn't that impressed.

Here are some recent treasures. Old metal label Espolons, a NOM 1079 1921, one of my all-time favorites-Corrido, an old Pura Vida, a Bob Denton Chinaco, old Herradura, a 1079 ArteNOM, and two of my favorite XA's which maybe are not total treasures yet, but they will be soon. I'll pop them all open eventually.

[Image: 8b8081449c9fc152d32123b3039f422b.jpg]
Great stash Lou. That's the kind of collection we can only dream of. I'll let you know what I think of the Tezon. Had it before but it was from a deep dark corner of a cellar (in the shop) and the bottle stank of damp, not sure if it had effected the tequila. Time will tell.
Decanted mine straight away.

Contrary to all the chatter about Tezon - it's still in production. Local store hear in western Mexico is restocking the emptied space where Olmeca Altos was with the much higher priced Tezon line-up. The lote numbers state 2016 so... of the two prefer the Olmeca Altos for the price imho
I agree
Just acquired these!![Image: a9442fdf2f4397f43b49b5f09e3945e0.jpg]
Great find Lou. Was that an online purchase or a great find in a store?

(10-14-2016, 12:04 PM)Fordi Wrote: Great find Lou. Was that an online purchase or a great find in a store?

Buy it now from an online auction
Awesome!!!

The best I've found recently was at the Whisky Exchange in London, the new store, where I picked up an old Casa Noble basket weave 'special reserve' anejo. OLD bottle now, and has been so tasty. Cork was in good shape considering. Got this bottle in Sept during Tequila Fest weekend 2016, and was their regular CN anejo price.
[Image: b55cf5b7e87a79ad88e7616e980e173f.jpg]

Glenn found these on Amazon, lot 5 5/6/06